We have been having cold weather here lately and I am loving it. Maybe this year we will get some of the white stuff. I have my fingers crossed. Anywho, I have been making soup and for those that know me, I love, love, love Martha Stewart! I found this simple chowder in her everyday food mag and am adding it to this recipe binder that I created.
Broccoli Chowder with Corn and Bacon
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 2 cans (14.5 oz ea) reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 lg baking potatoe, peeled & diced
- 1 head broccoli (about 1 lb) cut into bite sized florets, stalks peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 pkg (10 oz) frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 c whole milk
- coarse & ground pepper
- In a large pot, cook bacon over md-low, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 8-10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Increase heat to medium. Cook onion, stirring, until it begins to soften, 6 to 8 mins.
- Add flour; cook, stirring constantly, 30 seconds. Add broth and potatoe; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cook until potatoe is tender, about 10 minutes. Add broccoli, corn, thyme and milk; cook until broccoli is crisp-tender, 8-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with bacon.
*since we don't believe in dieting in this house, I added a little cheese along with the bacon on top.