Friday, January 30, 2015

April Showers Bring May Flowers

It's that time again.  Another calendar post.   Four pages down, eight to go.  I am starting to think that I can do this thing, lol.  Anywho.  So far I have been sticking to my recipe and original plans pretty good and this month was no exception.  I was not crazy about the floral paper that I chose initially so I changed it.  I tried to stick with the program for a few days and make myself use it but eventually I realized that I was not going to do the page if I used that paper.  Maybe next time.  I still like the colors and the idea of using the two different types of floral papers.  I may still change it out but for now I don't hate it.  Much. 

Just for the record, it is really (really, really) hard for me to toss paper that I am not crazy about.  For whatever reason, my heart makes me find a way to use it.  One thing about the more generic paper pads that I love is that the backs are white so I can use it as white cardstock if I don't care for the pattern. 

This layout is on the flatter side so that is a win for me. One of my biggest concerns about the end product is that I am going to have a calendar that won't lie as flat as I want it to.  I am crazy about the papers that I settled on for this page! The colors are so pretty!!  Here is a look at the page....



As you can see here and on most of the pages that I do, I have sewed some of my photo mats.  I don't use sewing to hold things down as much as I do to add some interest to my layouts.  I just love the way it looks.  When I first started sewing on paper, the biggest problem that I had was the paper buckling and leaving an air hump on my mats.  In order to prevent that, I just make sure that I glue everything down well before I start sewing.  You have to be careful to not glue too close to the sewing line (especially if you are using runners or other dry adhesives) because it will gum your machine so bad.  Ask me how I know this......

If I am being 100% honest, I have to say that 9 times out of 10, I just sew individual papers than I mat them.  It is just easier and since my go to adhesives are really, really strong I haven't had any problems.  Sewing on pages is easy peasy and truly one of my favorite ways to add interest with no bulk.  You don't need to have a special machine, thread or skill.  If you can do the basics, your good to go.  I don't even change my thread or stitches! 

As a crafty gal, there are a ton of hobbies that I enjoy and one of them is cooking.  Not the everyday, get some food on the table type cooking (chore) but the trying new ingredients, photo worthy food type of meals.  I own upwards of 100 cookbooks and cooking magazines but buying them is so not a waste of money for me as I cook from them all of the time.  I love to try new ingredients and combos so much that my family is spoiled for it!  They don't like to eat leftovers and unless it is a favorite meal, will throw out the bored card if I cook something more than once. 

At first, cooking like this was time consuming and expensive but since I have been doing it for a few years, the cost have gone down and I can bang out a menu in no time flat.  For me to cook something more than once it has to be absolutely delicious, so I don't keep a recipe file for any recipes but the ones we truly love (unanimously).   These dishes are the ones that I share with my kids & sisters. 

The only real issue that I am still dealing with is that my food rarely comes out looking like the recipes.  I realize that my food is not styled or anything but it really comes out looking different.  Here is a look at what I mean.  This is a photo of the Potato Gnocchi dish from the magazine (Good Housekeeping, I believe).......



Beautiful!  It looks so tasty!!

This is mine............



What.  Not as beautiful.  In fact it is a hot holy mess but I promise it smells fantastic.  It was good but it will not make a comeback in this house.  I don't particularly care for gnocchi but the husband and the kid made a huge fuss about the fact that if I don't like it, I don't cook it.  So now, we have things that I don't like.  Like veal, lamb, liver, beets, scallops and creamed spinach.  Ironic that most of the times we have to put up with kids that don't like certain foods.  In this house it's me.  I don't cook myself a special meal,  instead I usually just have everything but the meat or nasty vege.  Who eats beets and really likes them?  Yuck!  This works fine for me, in fact, I would love to have meatless meals 2-3 times a week (that got vetoed very fast!)

Does anyone's food (hobbyist like myself, professionals we already know you nailed it) ever come out looking like the picture?  If yours does, how do you do it?  This issue won't stop me from experimenting in the kitchen.  Honestly, if it tastes good and looks edible it will get eaten but I would love to hear any secrets you have to share.  I promise, I will not blab to another soul.....

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you have a fantastic day!

No comments :