Tuesday, March 9, 2010

National Zoo

We visited this fantastic (free) place and had a ball.  One of the things I love the most about living in DC is how much there is to do.  With the weather so bad lately, we really haven't done much but it was gorgeous out and we had a great time.  I, of course, forgot my camera but here are the pics the little guy took with the cam he got for Christmas.  He is doing so well with it that I think there is a better one in his future.  Maybe for Easter.  He absolutely loves the thing!  The most interesting thing we saw was a wolf.  I have been to a lot of zoos and have never seen a wolf.  Boy do they stink!!!!!  But this one was red and looked like a very tall fox, hence the nickname, fox on stilts.  It was almost as tall as a zebra.  The female lions were also beautiful and huge, huge, huge.  I am still always slightly surprised by big they are when I see them in person. 
This is my favorite, the meerkats and they were the most active in the zoo besides the little teeny monkeys. 


These were in with the sloths and they were so tiny. They were about the size of a small cat or an older kitten.  They played with each other like children.


This is the wolf, so graceful and beautiful.  I would go back just to see him.  He might even end up on my Christmas cards this year!

Speaking of zoo, the hubby is trying to get cool daddy points by putting this in Q's room


I think he won the popularity contest hands down this week.  It even has an ugly crayfish in it. 


 Oh and I think he put the crabs in there too.  I told them that if the crabs get out there was going to be trouble.  We had them before and they both escaped.  The kids would come home and they would be in the middle of the living room.  Yuck!!!!  Because I am evil (HAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAA), when the boy walks in the door from school, I will ask him to guess what I sucked up the vacuum hose.  Works everytime.  He freaks out and runs to dump the vacuum tray to find his crabs. 

Just wanted to pop in for a quick second.  Off to do a massive amount of science homework and to play catch-up with housework, phone calls and emails. 

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day! 

No comments :